THE LUNCH BOX DILEMMA
Making school lunches can be a great source of stress for many parents, myself included. We can fall into the trap of giving our children exactly the same lunch day after day and wonder why they stop eating them! Or we go for the convenient packs of chips, dairy foods and muesli bars, which often children love, however they are not a healthy option.
When you’re tired and busy it’s hard to take the time and have the imagination to produce good healthy lunches for your children. A few years ago one of our Dietitians, a parent of two young boys, put together these guidelines to help we parents who are struggling to put lunch boxes together.
How to put together a tasty and nutritious lunch box.
Choose from these foods to get the balance right.
1) Wholegrain bread, wraps, pita bread, roti, rolls, rice, noodles (not 2 minute noodles), pasta,
rice wafers etc.
2) Chicken, shaved ham, lean meat, fish/tuna, eggs, cheese, peas/beans/lentils, hummus, nut
butters and hard boiled eggs and nuts etc
3) Whole or cut-up fruit, berries, grapes, pottle of stewed/tinned fruit, salad, vege sticks, cherry
Fruit and vegetables provide essential vitamins and fibre for good health and digestion
4) Include healthy fats for taste and brainpower such as avocado, salmon or oily white fish
(tinned is fine) and nuts.
5) Dried fruit, popcorn, pikelet, small homemade muffin, or plain biscuits, bite-sized cereal
eg Weetbix Bites/Miniwheats, small can creamed rice, nuts (if allowed), crackers, corn thins,
low sugar yoghurts or natural yoghurt with frozen berries.
Makes lunch boxes appealing and provide energy
6) Fluid – Water is the best choice; the good thing is it’s free from any drinking fountain and tap at
If you need more help putting lunch boxes together for you children, especially if you have a child with a health condition or disability, our friendly Dietitians can help, just contact us at Therapy Professionals
Phone: 03 3775280 Email: email@example.com
Written by Helen Gunn, Mother of two and Dietitian for Therapy Professionals Ltd Ph. (03) 377 5280