Enable Equipment Service
(Ministry of Health Funded Equipment Management Scheme)
If you’re in need of equipment to assist you to function in life, you may be eligible for Enable equipment. The equipment is on loan from the Ministry of Health free of charge, however the assessment and application may cost you, so please discuss with a therapist.
Therapy Professionals Ltd’s Physio and Occupational Therapists are accredited assessors for Enable equipment in the following areas:
1. Personal Care & Household Management
a) Personal equipment to enable you to carry out personal care activities in their home, at work
or place of study, such as:
- eating and drinking
- personal hygiene (washing and toileting)
- getting dressed
- transferring from the bed or chair
- getting in or out of the home
b) Household Management equipment to enable you to carry out essential
household tasks to return to, or remain safely your home, such as the preparation of food
and drinks, if you live alone or by yourself for much of the day.
2. Walking & Standing
a) Walking equipment to support you with walking and transferring.
b) Standing equipment to support you to maintain a good functional position
and body alignment in standing.
3. Basic housing modification equipment to ensure your safety at home such as:
- wedge threshold ramps
- lever taps or
- internal door widening.
4. Complex Housing Modifications are where the alterations to the structure of the property are
5. Wheeled Mobility and Postural Management Level 1 and credential lying advice and
recommendations related to wheeled mobility, seating and postural management.
It takes between two hours and several months depending on the complexity and expense of the equipment.
- an Enable accredited therapist assesses your need for equipment and if you’re eligible.
- Therapist completes the Enable service request electronically if funding is ‘available’. While
funding may be available, Enable has final discretion on eligibility for equipment.
- Equipment is trialed or issued to you.
- The therapist will follow up on the use and appropriateness of the equipment.
Keeping Records of Equipment
Most equipment comes with an ASSET NUMBER. You or the residential providers are responsible for keeping records of asset numbers and maintenance of the equipment.
The asset number stickers can fade and come off especially on soft fabrics, eg slings. We recommend you develop a system to record asset numbers permanently. (eg: taking a photo of the piece of equipment and asset number. Keep it somewhere safe or in your client’s file).
Repairs and Maintenance:
Contact one of the subcontractors listed below:
More Mobility/ Mobytech Ltd
113 Blenheim Road, Christchurch 8041
Phone: (03) 348 3460 Option 3 or 027 516 2340
Personal Mobility Systems (Wheelchair Services (SI) Ltd) (not generally a mobile service)
29 Shakespeare Road, Christchurch 8240
Phone: (03) 366 8815 or 0275 383 584, Free: 0508 662 454
Rehab Enterprises, mobile workshop.
Contact Owen Henwood on phone: 027 230 5974 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alteration or Modification of Equipment
If you wish to have equipment altered or modified this is not a repair or maintenance. Call the therapist.
Equipment no longer needed for clients:
Ring Enable and ask for it to be picked up Phone: 0800 171 995
Residential providers - If another client would benefit from the equipment, call the therapist, they will assess and if suitable re-issue the equipment.