Having Joint Surgery?
Start to Exercise Now!
The stronger your muscles are before surgery,
the faster you will recover.
- reduced joint protection
Before your operation you may have trouble moving because of pain and stiffness. You need to know:
Here are a few simple movements you can try. When doing these exercises hold, then let go and relax.
Hip and Knee
Lie on bed face down (toes over end of mattress)
1. Lie flat on tummy for 20 minutes a day to keep your
- your straight leg, an inch or so from bed to strengthen the hip
Lie on back with knees bent
2. Bend hip and knee as far as you can comfortably manage
3. Lift buttocks and squeeze 4. Part knees as far as you can
Sit - dining chair height, thighs level and feet flat on floor
5. Lift foot to straighten knee, this muscle is your knee support
(practice straightening knee fully while standing, sitting or lying)
6. Stand up and sit down up to 10 times in quick succession
Stand (hip and knee exercises continued)
7. Stand on one leg. 8. Walk with long strides. 9. Walk sideways with wide steps
10. Walk – small walks, long walks, fast walks, slow walks
Walk as far and as often as you can comfortably manage
11. Forearm on table, Lift hand & make a fist. Spread fingers out wide.
palm down. Relax. Repeat.
12. Press paid of thumb against finger pads
13. Bend thumb across palm and back again
Lie on back
14. Clasp hands and lift arms above body and over head
Stand or Sit
13. Clasp wrists/hands. 16. 'Dry' back with 17. Shrug and roll shoulders
behind back. Move scarf or small - arms hanging loose
away from body. towel.
18. Sit upright swing arms 19. Lean forward one hand on knee,
swing other arm across front of
body and back, bringing elbow to
20. Elbow circles
Contact Therapy Professionals if you would like to help with these exercises - our friendly physiotherapists can help.
Phone: 03 3775280
Phone: (03) 377 5280
Fax: (03) 377-5281
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
Office: 12 Coronation St, Christchurch
Postal address: PO Box 7807,
Therapy Professionals makes every effort to ensure that the information provided on its web pages is accurate and up-to-date. Website content is subject to regular review and no warranty can be provided regarding the accuracy of it. © Therapy Professionals Ltd 2015. All rights reserved.